Jay Asanuma is a formally trained chef, certified holistic health coach, and runs an organic fermented foods business in New York. As a long time researcher of fermented (hacco) foods, Jay will share his delicious hacco recipes for you to try at home.
Bamboo shoot risotto
Ingredients:Bamboo shoot risotto
2 bowls rice
50g mascarpone cheese
1/2pc Bamboo shoot (cooked)
Mitsuba a few stems
Kinome (Sansho leaves or any herbs)
Salt for taste
Soy sauce for taste
Preparation:Bamboo shoot risotto
1. Soak clams in salted water for over night.
2. Heat up dashi and season with salt and soy sauce as clear soup.
3. Take clams out from the water, then put in boiling dashi and simmer until the shells open.
4. Take out clams form dashi, and cut bamboo shoot in appropriate size and cook in dashi about 3min.
5. Take bomboo shoot out from dashi, and add rice in dashi then cook for a while.(Necessary to stir well, during cooking rice,)
6. Add mascarpone then add asparagus, bamboo shoot and keep string.
7. At the last moment, add mitsuba and kinome and mix.
8. To serve, pour risotto on a bowl, and finish with clams, kinome on the top.
Bamboo shoot risotto:Jay’s note
When I was working in a french restaurant in New York, one of the chef was making risotto with mascarpone cheese. Actually, I’ve never use mascarpone for savory, so it sounds like little strange for making risotto, but after I tasted it, there is no doubt, this way was much better. It taste light and rich creamy flavor. This time I use spring veggies and seafood, you may change any other seasonal ingredients that you like.